Purpose: To teach that we can come to know God, that he has a body, and is a perfected being who loves us.
Possible Songs: “A Child’s Prayer,” Children’s Songbook 12; “My Heavenly Father loves Me,” Children’s songbook 228; “I Need my Heavenly Father,” Children’s songbook 18; “A Mighty Fortress is our God,” Hymns 68; “Because God loves Me,” Children’s songbook 234; “God’s Love,” Children’s Songbook 97; “Dearest Children, God is Near You,” Hymns 96; “I am a Child of God,” Hymns 301 or Children’s Songbook 2; “Joseph Smith’s First Prayer,” Hymns 26; “Our Saviour’s Love,” Hymns 113; “The First Article of Faith,” Children’s songbook 122a;
Possible Materials: Creation picture from Gospel Art Book; First Vision picture from Gospel Art Book, or this one; Puppets of Ammon and Aaron
Preparation: Begin with prayer. Ask yourself how understanding the nature of God will help yourself and each member of your family. Read the suggested scriptures, the articles listed in Resources, and the section on the Godhead in True to the Faith.
If there is a design in this world in which we live, there must be a Designer. Who can behold the many wonders of the universe without believing that there is a design for all mankind? Who can doubt that there is a Designer? (source)
- Knowing God is so important that the Savior said, “This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent” (John 17:3).
- The first and greatest commandment is “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart” (Matthew 22:37).
- The more we know God, the more we love Him and keep His commandments (see 1 John 2:3–5). By keeping His commandments we can become like Him.
- Believe that He exists and that He loves us (see Mosiah 4:9).
- Study the scriptures (see 2 Timothy 3:14–17).
- Pray to Him (see James 1:5).
- Obey all His commandments as best we can (see John 14:21–23).
Challenge: Have the children stand. Help them memorize the first article of faith. If too young, just help them memorize the first part: “We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ.” Practice all week. If the article of faith is already memorized, memorize Moses 1:39. Discuss what unknown words mean.
Resources: Sunbeams Manual Lesson 2; Gospel PrinciplesChapter 1; Preach My Gospel Chapter 3, part 1 (You’ll have to scroll down); Come, Follow Mediscussions on the Godhead and knowing Heavenly Father. Fundamentals to our Faith by Elder Dallin H. Oaks; In These Three I believe by President Gordon B. Hinckley; Gaining a Testimony of God, the Eternal Father; His Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost by Elder Robert D Hales; Encyclopedia of Mormonism: God the Father; LDS Study Topics, God the Father; Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, lesson 2